Following are the list of nine precepts regarding the administration of medicines -:
(1) In short and acute diseases the medicine is to be taken in an empty stomach that it may be sooner digested,
(2) The medicine may be taken with advantage before eating when the patient is strong and diseasesevere.
(3) One-half of the medicine should be taken before and another after food.
(4) By the old and weak the medicine should be taken with the food.
(5) By others after the food when the disease has occurred suddenly and when the patient suffers, from asthma, cough, thirst and vomiting.
(6) Another kind should be taken with a covering over it.
(7) When the disease is in the middle of the body, the medicine is to be taken between the two periods of eating.
(8) Another kind of medicine should take with each morsel of food.
(9) For asthma, cough, thirst, etc., an emetic should be occasionally administered.