In Ayurveda peptic ulcer is known as “Parinam shool” which is a disorder caused by the Agni bhootha. It is also caused by Helicobacter pylori which is a Gram- Negative, micro aerophilic bacterium that can inhabit various areas of the stomach, particularly the antrum. These are very common in middle-aged men and women, who are ‘acidity’ patients for a long time. These ulcers are formed when a small area of the stomach or duodenal lining loses its natural resistance to the acids and other juices involved in digestion.
When this happens, the digestive juices and acids erode that weak point of lining and create a sore patch, which ultimately leads to ulcer formation.
- Irregular, and bad eating habits.
- Regular intake of aspirin or non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.
- Gutkha is more dangerous.
- Excessive hot, spicy fried food. Heavy drinking and smoking.
- Excessive tea, coffee, and pan chewing.
Signs & Symptoms
- Some times the pain is felt after eating, but it can also be releived by eating.
- Some sufferers may feel nauseous.
- Burning pain or sensation in the upper abdomen or below the ribs.
- The pain may come and go over long periods of time.
- Ayurveda offers a wide range of drugs for this condition. One of the safest drugs that can be used regularly is Avipattikara Churna available in powder form. It is digestive, anti-flatulent and antacid. Regular use promotes ulcer healing by arresting excessive secretions of irritating acid and juices in the digestive system and throws out the unwanted toxins from the GI Tract through Virechana i.e., purgation.
- There are other herbo-mineral and gold compounds like Swarna Sutha Sekhara Rasa etc., which are specifically indicated for this disorder. But they should be tried under the care of an Ayurvedic physician.
- Vomitab tablet (charak), 1 tablet thrice daily before meals for 3 months cures ulcers completely.
- Alsarex tablet (charak) in the dose of 1 to 21 tablets thrice daily is very good in curing acidity and peptic ulcer.
- Kamdudha Ras (with pearls) taken 125mg thrice daily is another useful remedy.
- Besides these, Leelavilas Ras, Chanderkala Ras, Amalpithantak Loh are other useful medicines.
- Daily intake of 10 to 20gms of pure ghee with rice or meal is rewarding.
- Banana fruit contains some ulcer healing properties. One to three bananas are to be taken along with a cup of milk. This provides a protective cover to the ulcer by neutralising the excessive acidity of gastric juices. However, the small yellow bananas are to be avoided and the larger greener ones preferred.
- Amlaki – Botanically known as Emblica Officinalis, Indian gooseberry is highly useful and the fresh juice extracted from the fruit along with some sugar, if consumed daily on empty stomach, works wonderfully in this condition.
- Certain plants which have astringent properties like Patol Patar, Brahmi, Aloe etc., are very useful in the treatment of peptic ulcer.
- The decoction of barley, pipal, parval along with honey, can be taken for ulcers and acidity twice daily in the dose of 25 to 50ml.
- The powder of Harar (2.5gm to 5gm) mixed with honey and gur has proved very effective for controlling peptic ulcer.
- Avoid aspirin-based medicines, as they may induce stomach bleeding.
- Stop alcohol, tea, coffee, smoking, pan and gutkha chewing.
- Take regular, timely and balanced meals containing high-fibre food.
- Above all one should be free from every day worries and tensions.
- Pure ghee is a good ulcer healer; one should take it with meals daily.